Gutterman’s & Gutterman Warheit — Jewish Funeral Services
in New York and Florida
The Jewish funeral process, virtually unchanged for more than four thousand years, emphasizes simplicity, dignity and humility. Traditionally held within 24 hours of a person’s death, it includes a number of specific traditions:
- The ritual washing of the body (tahara)—Before a funeral may take place, the body of the deceased must be washed and dressed in accordance with Jewish law. This is customarily done by the Chevra Kadisha (the Jewish burial society) while prayers are recited. Under law, men prepare men and women prepare women.
- The rending of one’s own garments (kriah)—During the funeral, family members typically tear their own garment as an expression of grief.
- The paying of respects (kavod)—The commandment to accompany the body to its final resting place is one of the greatest in Jewish law. This involves attendance at the funeral home or chapel, or at the interment, to recite psalms and give spoken testimonies of the merits of the deceased.
- The burial (kevurah)—The burial takes place in a Jewish cemetery, with the recitation of Kaddish and other prayers.
- Condolences (nechama)—Those in attendance at the gravesite create a pathway through which family members and mourners walk as they leave.
Let Us Ease Your Burden
At Gutterman’s & Gutterman Warheit, with chapels in New York and Florida, we have served the needs of Jewish families in times of loss for more than 125 years. For us, this has always been a calling. We have always been family owned and operated. Many of our employees have been with us for decades, or have spent their entire careers in our employ.
We have a comprehensive understanding of the rites and customs of all Jewish traditions, and will listen carefully, so that we can help you arrange a funeral or memorial service that honors your loved one. We’ll answer all your questions and work to ensure that you have all the information you need to make the right decisions.
To initiate the Jewish funeral process or to learn more about the ways we can serve you, call us at one of the numbers listed below. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to support and assist you. We offer worldwide funeral shipping services.
Gutterman's & Gutterman Warheit — Where Relationships Matter
Family Owned and Operated Since 1892